Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Urban Legend Party

Jason Cherniak has daringly exposed the Liberals as the "Urban Legend Party". Apparently, they fought for changes to the electoral laws in Canada, based on an urban legend about Olivia Chow.
The rumour around TO (Let me be very clear; I am not suggesting that the rumour is true. I am only stating that it is out there.) is that Olivia Chow won because NDP supporters from across the city voted early and often at different polling stations in Trinity-Spadina. I don't know if it's true, but just the rumour led the federal Liberals to fight for a new rule that voters must show ID before receiving their ballot. (emphasis mine)
As I say, pretty daring stuff. But that's not the end of the story.

I hear a rumour (I don't know if it is true but it's out there) that the Liberals are going to propose other new policies based on other urban legends. I heard that they are going to propose a change to the Telecommunications Act, in order to prevent intra-house phone dialing. This is to stop psycho-killers from calling babysitters from upstairs extensions. I also heard they are going to propose a change to the Transplanted Tissues Act, to prevent hookers from drugging stupid guys in bars and stealing their kidneys. Thank God the Liberals are out there protecting citizens from made up stories. Let's hear it for the Liberal Party, legends In their own minds. Hat tip to POGGE.
Recommend this Post

No comments:

Post a Comment