Thursday, December 11, 2008

Like Paul On The Road To Damascus?

Wells has seen the light:
One rough division of labour here at Maclean’s has long held that Colleague Coyne advocated for electoral reform, whereas I didn’t care. Those days are over. Part of the recent crisis was due to the way our electoral system affords the Bloc Quebecois far more space than the other parties are willing to afford it legitimacy. If we don’t think a separatist party has as much right as the others to determine who keeps or loses power, then it makes no sense to hang onto an electoral system whose many insanities include its tendency to give the Bloc more seats than its share of votes. I will be looking for a mainstream party that credibly and seriously advocates major electoral reform, to bring our Parliament more closely into alignment with the voters’ wishes.
Despite the mess we are in politically, I count this as a good day.
Recommend this Post

7 comments:

  1. If we don’t think a separatist party has as much right as the others to determine who keeps or loses power

    Jackass comment. You get that right by being elected without cheating. Now we're going to start telling people that if they believe the wrong things, they weren't really elected? Screw that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agreed with Wells in a fit of rage against the separatists for approximately three hours...

    It's a good argument for reform, I'll say that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just glad he is now on side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, Greg, did you get my invite to write for the WWBA?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi James, no I didn't. If it is at Facebook, I haven't been on in days. I will go check.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found it. Sent my reply. :)

    ReplyDelete