Thursday, December 04, 2008

Just Because I was Right About Prorogation

Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. Mme. Jean was perfectly within her right to prorogue parliament. I am obviously unhappy she did so, but I believe in our system and I can live with her, in my opinion, bad decision. I think she has done two things today. First, I think she has set a terrible precedent. Now, anytime a prime minister gets in a jam, he or she will have Mme Jean's decision to cite as a get out of jail free card. Second, in this particular case, I think Mme. Jean has saved Harper's bacon, at least temporarily. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

The Tories will lay the wood on the Liberals for the next six weeks and then they will find some way (as they always do) to get around voting on the Throne Speech to present a budget first. Have no doubt, this budget will be so thick with pork fat that it will take a week to dig through it. Harper will then turn his piggy features toward the Liberals and say, "Defeat me and I will get my election. Count on it." Given the state of the parties, I suspect the coalition will fall apart.

As for the country, it is much, much worse shape than it was a week ago. Our parliament is toxic, our PM thinks nothing of pitting one province against another and the economy is in turmoil. A real leader would have avoided all of this. Harper, sadly, is a master manipulator and a consummate liar, but he is not a leader.
Recommend this Post

No comments:

Post a Comment