Saturday, September 13, 2008

Let The Games Begin

Now that it is becoming clear that the Liberals are in trouble, do I think they will correct themselves and move forward? Not a chance. I expect the search for scapegoats will intensify and the voices denouncing any "fool" who doesn't see the Liberal party as the bastion of all things progressive (I'm looking at you John Barber), will grow more desperate and personal (although how do you top calling people who voted NDP last time, sheep?). Why do I think this? Because it is easier to do that than to look into the collective, black soul of the Liberal Party. They know, deep down, they wouldn't like what they'd see.

For myself, I am getting closer to the point of deciding whether or not I will vote in this election. I probably will, but only as a way of sending cash to my party of choice.

As I see it, power and the prospect of absolute power, does strange things to people. Look at the NDP. They aren't even close to being in power, but they are getting closer to the Liberals if you believe the latest poll. Do you ever hear the words electoral reform coming out of Jack Layton's mouth anymore? The prospect of having the power of a phony majority casts a spell over our politicians, like the ring did in Lord of the Rings. They are so obsessed with the power that a "majority" provides them, that they can't see how corrupting it is to themselves and to our politics.

Am I afraid that Harper will win a "majority"? Yes, what rational human being wouldn't be? However, Harper might just be the enema that Canada needs. Maybe a few years of anal probing by the Conservatives will finally convince those who hate electoral reform that it might not be a bad thing after all. On the other hand, the forces of inertia have profited for so long from the crazy way we choose governments that I am not optimistic they will draw the right conclusions from the future unpleasantness of Tory rule.

In the final analysis, the politics we have as a people is the politics we deserve. Until the Canadian people rise up and demand electoral reform, we will not get it. Maybe a few years of unfettered Harper rule will spur us on. But I doubt it.
Recommend this Post

6 comments:

  1. Vote NDP to give them your money, and let's see if a Harper majority (which I still expect) makes your side of the aisle either take up electoral reform or do what the political right in Canada did while Chretien was PM -- flounder around for a couple more elections and then get its act together and unite to form a "united alternative".

    (But heck, maybe something will change and Dion will hold Harper down to a slim plurality, or even take him. Stranger things have happened...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben has a point: the election ain't over yet. But I do sympathize. I'm not sure I'm going to vote, as I'm not convinced any of the parties deserves any money.

    Why is electoral reform a dirty word on this continent? There's nothing sacred about the process; the issue is whether the process is fair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, meant to post that under this account.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am I afraid that Harper will win a "majority"? Yes, what rational human being wouldn't be?

    Apparently a good chunk of Canadians are irrational then, Greg. And I'm sure they'd appreciate you insinuating they're irrational simply because they don't believe left wing campfire tales about Stephen Harper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that assumes that the Conservative appeal is based on a rational message. I think I would disagree (not that the other parties' messages are particularly rational either). Modern politics is all about stimulating the reptile brain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. greg - I just think you have enough intelligent commentary to make that you shouldn't have to imply that unless you're afraid of a Stephen Harper majority, you're not a rational person.

    ReplyDelete