Wednesday, July 16, 2008

This Is A Witness?

I wish the press would stop bothering Layne Morris. It's not as if he actually witnessed anything. He wasn't even around when the grenade was thrown. He has no first hand account to tell. Leave him alone. He is obviously in enough pain.

Update:Here is a transcript of an interview Mr. Morris did with the CBC. Read it and tell me he is a reliable witness:
SO: SO HOW DID THE OTHER SOLDIER, CHRISTOPHER SPEAR, GET MORTALLY INJURED?

LM: After there was no more fire from the compound, and it was just destroyed, the rest of the team went into the compound to clear it, just to get the intel, see who was in there. Just your normal exploitation of a seized compound.
And Omar was still alive in one of the corners and waiting with a pistol and a hand grenade. And when they got close enough, he popped up and threw the hand grenade, shot the pistol and Chris didn’t see him, didn’t see the hand grenade.
So when he hit the ground, he just, he was too close to the hand grenade, so the shrapnel from that hand grenade got him in the head and mortally wounded him.

SO: YOU DIDN’T SEE THAT BY THEN?

LM: No. I was gone before the guys went into the compound. I think they were going into the compound as the Medivac helicopter was lifting off.


SO: WITH YOU INSIDE?

LM: With me inside. So I watched the 500 pounders hit, and soon after that, the guys went inside. So no, we thought it was over. So when I was at Bagram and got the word that it was another casualty coming in, I – I didn’t understand that. But we’ve cleared everybody off that was wounded, even the bad guys.
So there shouldn’t be any casualties, any more casualties. So it was, you know, took me another 4 or 5 hours before I finally heard the rest of the story about what happened in the compound.

SO: SO HOW DID YOU FIND OUT THAT STORY? DID SOMEBODY COME BACK AND TELL YOU? OR SAW OMAR KHADR THROW THE GRENADE?

LM: The rest of my team stayed there. One of the medics that was there came with Chris and he’s the one that told me the story.

SO: AND DID HE SEE KHADR THROW IT?

LM: He did - he did not go in the compound.

SO: SO DID ANYBODY SEE KHADR THROW THE GRENADE?

LM: You know, I’ve heard a couple of guys say that they, the direction that the grenade came from was the direction that Omar was hiding. But him being the only one alive left in the compound, I think everybody just – you almost have to assume – I mean there’s nobody else in there. Who else is going to throw the hand grenade?
So it was pretty obvious that Omar threw the hand grenade, shot the pistol and that’s why he got shot at that point. No one else was in, was – no one else in there was alive. (emphasis mine)
Did he see anything? No. Did someone tell him about it? Yes. Did the guys who told him about it see Khadr throw the grenade? No. He assumes it was Khadr. It's not like there was anyone else could have done it, right? Or someone would have told him that too? Right? It's not like the Pentagon would ever cover up a friendly fire death, right? Khadr is going to get a fair trial with such a stellar witness, right? Right.
Recommend this Post

No comments:

Post a Comment